January 20, 2013

Speeches ... On the spot



We recently concluded our impromptu speeches - a quick lesson on making the kids think on their feet while practicing their speaking skills. They pulled three note cards out of a pile and selected one of the three. Two minutes after that, they had to give a two minute speech on that topic. 


It led to some funny lines like: "I'm already a unicorn, so I would be a monkey" and "Brush your teeth, or else they will turn green."

Needless to say there were some funny moments. 


This wasn't for a grade, so no worries there. We are approaching our ancient Greece unit in social studies and some of the projects have a speaking component in them. This was a nice way to practice the art of giving speeches (looking at your audience, clear voice, good volume, etc.) without feeling too much pressure. 

Hope you all had a great weekend. I leave you with this, 
"Cat's will never leave you. Well actually .... maybe they will."

Love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment