Greetings students and parents!
If you're reading this it means that you have found your way to our class blog. This is the place to check for updates that you may be used to finding in a newsletter sent home by teachers. I will be posting updates to keep you informed on units of study, upcoming events and trips, announcements and photos of your students working hard (or, hardly working - however you interpret the pictures).
While we never really want to fully let go of the days of summer, we will start our new adventure of 6th grade on Thursday, September 1st. 6th grade marks the final year for your student here at Horizon and we're planning on making it a memorable one. In addition to studying mummies, acting like the Greek gods, rebuilding Rome and hosting a medieval faire, the students will also be putting on their own television shows for their class, convincing a teacher to move to a different climate and building an earthquake-proof(ish!) building out of marshmallows and spaghetti! And that's only part of what science and social studies has in store for them!
I know 6th grade field trips are always a fun topic to explore, so here are some of the highlights. We will be doing some restoration along the Pewaukee River as well as rowboating down it. We will also be taking in a play and bowling this winter. The big one, of course, is our full day (and then some) trip down to the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry. It is a huge museum full of interactive science experiments that the kids can control and explore. Our trip to Chicago will take place at the end of the year. Before anyone asks, all field trips that require chaperons are on a first come, first serve basis after the permission forms have gone home for that field trip and only count when they come back (with payment, if necessary). Good times.
I look forward to meeting you all - though I would imagine by the time you read this I will have already met you at open house. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Minions - I'll see you soon!
Welcome to 6th Grade!
-- Mr. Finn --
No comments:
Post a Comment